Our pride and joy is the Whippany Burying Yard on Route 10, the oldest cemetery in northern New Jersey, established in 1718. Buried there are eleven revolutionary soldiers and some who fought in the Civil War, as well as many other people from prominent families in what was the original Hanover Township. It is significant for the number and quality of the carved tombstones. Among the citizens buried there are:
- Abraham Kitchel, an early settler and both original judges of Morris County
- Colonel Joseph Tuttle, commander of the Morris County Militia
The burying yard has been recognized on the State and National Registers of Historic Places and was established as a
Township Designated Landmark Site.
One of the main duties of the Landmark Commission is to restore and/or repair gravestones, which an ongoing job.