HANOVER SEWERAGE AUTHORITY
The Authority was created by the Township in 1956 to provide wastewater collection & treatment service within Hanover Twp. This action was taken in response to ongoing failures of septic systems and to plan & provide for future treatment needs. Planning & construction began in the mid 1950's. The plant began operation in November of 1961.
At the present time, approximately 99% of the Township is sewered. The Authority also provides service to contiguous residential areas of Morris Plains, Morris Twp., Parsippany-Troy Hills and to industry in East Hanover.
The collection system consists of approximately 80 miles of pipe varying in size from 8" to 36" in diameter. Within the Township, this system is operated by the Authority. The majority of this system was constructed by the Hanover Sewerage Authority in existing developed areas of the Township in the 1960's and early 1970's. As new areas of the Township were developed, they were connected to the system.
The Treatment Plant is located on Troy Road in Whippany. The plant originally provided secondary treatment for 1.5 million gallons of wastewater per day. Between 1976 and 1979, the plant was expanded to provide for a capacity increase to 3 million gallons per day and to meet newly revised criteria for secondary treatment. The plant was further upgraded between 1989 and 1992 and currently provides level 4 advanced treatment plus dechlorination and has a capacity to treat an average of 5 million gallons per day. This capacity is sufficient to serve complete development of the Township based on present zoning.
Michael C. Wynne
Executive Director, Hanover Sewerage Authority