CULTURAL ARTS COMMITTEE
The Cultural Arts Committee is open to township residents who wish to enhance the Arts experience for township residents. Meetings are held monthly, excluding July and August, in the Municipal Building on the 1st Thursday of each month. If you are interested in becoming a member click here
Our Mission: To coordinate and conduct cultural and performing arts programs, including art, dance, music and theater,
for the benefit of the residents of Hanover Township.
Would you like to be informed of upcoming Cultural Arts events? You can have your name added to the email list by contacting CulturalArts@HanoverTownship.com with your name and email address, or clicking on this link.
For the latest updates, join the Cultural Arts Committee mailing list
- Sunday Fall Concerts: The Cultural Arts Committee is pleased to invite you to the Sunday Fall Concerts. Here is the schedule:
- Sunday, September 23, 2018: Unintended Consequences will perform jazz repertoire and known chart hits. This NYC-based jazz quartet is led by Whippany native Tom McHugh. To sample their music, visit https://unintendedconsequences.bandcamp.com/ and come enjoy the performance here in town on September 23.
- Sunday, December 2, 2018: The Madison String Quartet is known for “blurring the line between performer and audience, creating a comfortable performance atmosphere for masterworks from past and present.” Learn more at their website https://www.madisonstringquartet.com/ and come enjoy the performance on December 2 before they leave on their European tour in January.
Both performances will be held at the Hanover Township Community Center, 15 N. Jefferson Rd, Whippany.
Performance time is 3:00-4:30. Admission is free, and light refreshments will be served.
- Hanover Wind Symphony: The Hanover Wind Symphony is our community-based symphonic wind band, and is made up exclusively of woodwind, brass, and percussion instruments. They are known for delighting audiences of all ages by giving a contemporary twist to traditional favorites. They have announced the following upcoming performances:
- October 24, 2018: "Songs from the Heart" at Memorial Junior School, Whippany
- November 11, 2018: “Duty, Honor, Country: A Salute to Service" (Veterans’ Day Concert) at Mayo Performing Arts Center (MPAC), Morristown
- December 9, 2018: “A Christmas Presence” at Our Lady of Mercy Church, Whippany
For program details, as well as venue and schedule information, check regularly at the website of the Hanover Wind Symphony: http://hanoverwinds.org/
Art on the Wall:
Art on the Wall: Art on the Wall is pleased to present works artist David Nicolato. David has been making and exhibiting his art for over 25 years. As a graduate of Mason Gross School of the Arts, Rutgers University, he began his art career in 1996, with small group shows and fashion inspired events. In 2010, he left his job in retail and decided to become an art teacher, while still pursuing his career in fine art.
In 2016 David became the art teacher at one of Jersey City’s finest private learning institutions, The OLC School. Located in the heart of the Downtown district, where the fine arts scene is centered, this allowed him access to their exploding arts scene and and the hip demographic that appreciates his Pop Surrealistic style. As a result, he has become an emerging artist in the Jersey City fine arts community, where he has been involved in many group shows, two annual festivals and several commissioned murals.
You can see samples of David's work by visiting Art on the Wall in the Hanover Township Municipal Building during November and December (through January 4).
Hanover Wind Symphony:
The Cultural Arts Committee provides continual support for our community-based musical organization, The Hanover Wind Symphony. The mission of the HWS is to "Bring music to people, and people to music." Each year they perform a busy schedule of concerts in our local area and throughout the Northeast. More information about the HWS can be found at https://hanoverwinds.org/ . A selection of videos from past performances can be found on the official HWS YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/HanoverWindSymphony/videos.
- Jazz Performance – Unintended Consequences: On September 23, 2018, the audience delighted in two sets from Unintended Consequences, an NYC-based jazz quartet with a street-smart performance vibe.
- Hanover Cabaret – Square Dance: On April 21, 2018, the CAC’s annual Cabaret featured “Square Dance with a Modern Twist.” With participation from the Northern New Jersey Square Dance Association, attendees enjoyed a fun and active evening.
- Chinese New Year Event: On February 11, 2018, over 260 township residents participated in the Cultural Arts Committee’s Chinese New Year celebration. Attendees rang in the Year of the Dog with decorations, refreshments, and Chinese-themed music by Peter Lin and the Lintet.
- CCB Flute Ensemble: On November 19, 2017, the Cultural Arts Committee sponsored "The Flutes Are Coming," a chamber music performance by the flute section of the Chatham Community Band. They performed a variety of classical, show tunes, and popular music.